Saturday, March 05, 2005
The 1st King's Dragoon Guards
The 1/King's Dragoon Guards (1/KDG) were part of the force besieged within Tobruk up until the Crusader battles freed them. Apparently, the siege lasted 8 months. The 1/KDG were nominally the 2nd Armoured Division's armoured car regiment. They were equipped with Marmon-Herrington Mk.II's during this period. There is a classic photo of a 1/KDG Marmon-Herring Mk.II taking a near miss in November 1941, when they were part of the breakout. There is a page on the British Land Forces website for them, filled with links. They were first mechanized in 1937, when they acquired light tanks. In 1939, they became part of the Royal Armoured Corps. In the process of reducing the British Army, they were merged with the Queen's Bays, another storied cavalry regiment.