Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Ian Paterson has a good narrative about the South African armoured cars

Ian Paterson, on his 7th Armoured Division web site, has a good narrative about the South African armoured cars. The initial version was a two-wheel drive vehicle, the Marmon-Herrington Mk.I, and Ian says that 135 were built. These were used in the East African campaign. The Mk.II had four wheel drive and was used in the desert in the Crusader Battle by the 1st King's Dragoon Guards (the KDG). 887 were built. The Mk.III had a somewhat more advanced design and 2,260 were built. Ian says that the Mk.I also had four wheel drive, but I thought that from reading the classic book, Springboks in Armour, that the Mk.I was two-wheel drive. There were later versions that were supplanted by the more advanced British designs that came into service in later 1942 and beyond. In my wargaming, I gave an armoured car regiment 13 cars, one being a commander's vehicle and then with three four-car squadrons. I used a one-to-four ratio between vehicles in the game and in the real world.

No comments:

Amazon Ad