Thursday, September 08, 2005

Churchill had never liked the advance into Libya

Churchill only allowed O'Connnor's advance into Libya, because the way was not open for what Churchill really wanted: to send troops into the Balkans. The main reason that the capture of Cyrenaica happened was because the Greek government had refused British aid in January 1941. All that changed on January 29th, when General Metaxas died. The new Greek government asked for aid, if the Germans entered the war in Greece. Churchill's telegram to Wavell on February 12th made it clear that Churchill had hoped that the offensive would stop at Tobruk, and that the move further west simply complicated Churchill's plan to send troops and equipment to Greece in an effort doomed to failure before it started. Anthony Eden and General Dill were in route to Greece to offer to send a force to Greece to aid in the war. Churchill also had his eye on Crete. O'Connor wanted to take the rest of Libya, and if he had been allowed, it could have happened. Instead, Churchill allowed a respite to the Italians that gave time for Rommel and the Germans to be shipped to Libya. This is based on the account in To Benghazi, with some editorializing by myself.

4 comments:

Car Insurance said...

My compliments. I have enjoyed your Blog. You have so many interesting things to report, please keep up the good work.

Did you know, that nearly all of us pay too much for their car insurance? That we are leaving a lot of money on the table by failing to compare properly the rates of all those different insurance companies?
I've made a new Blog just about Car Insurance. You are friendly invited to a visit and to learn more about this interesting topic.
Thanks again and keep up the good work.

The Car Insurance Guy from Car Insurance

Quit Smoking said...

I found you while surfing for interesting blogs. I like it, good content. I've left an invitation to you to visit me if you are into ebooks - Thanks, Neil

. said...

I just came across your blog, and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a insurance quote blog, so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

Car Insurance Center said...

I Really think you have a great blog here.

I have several pages of my own:

My first blog/site is about aaa car insurance and covers aaa car insurance related stuff.
My Second blog/site is about Work From Home..
My Third blog/site is about Wheel Chairs and covers Wheel Chairs related stuff.

Please feel free to visit.

Amazon Ad